Friday 21 January 2011

Mongolian Derby Second Time?

Its Friday and my favourite afternoon past time is sitting in Hermanus on the West Coast of South Africa. I eat oysters, drinking white wine and watch the Southern Right whales feeding their calf’s in Walker Bay. Add the company and it’s idyllic.

Unfortunately ‘the adventurer’ is not in South Africa but Horsham, West Sussex, England, staying with my father. Not that visiting ones father is unfortunate. However after being here for two weeks I am pulling at the bit to get away for the weekend.

Off to London and the bright lights this afternoon, meeting my good friend Nick. Those regular readers will remember that the last time I met Nick and his friends in the city a £500 wager was placed and duly won by yours truly. This evening event is only a prelude to the real reason for going to the city, although who knows what will materialise from this evening shenanigans.



On Saturday morning I shall be going horse riding. I have entered a competition, the prize, the entrance fee to the 3rd Mongolian Derby a not unsubstantial $10,000. To win, I need to make a video being interviewed sitting on a horse.

Why? You are asking would I want to enter the same race I came third in two years ago. Where I had four unofficial dismounts and took six stitches. Where I lost feeling in three toes due to hyperthermia. Where I lost so much weight I looked like this at the finish line



The Mongolian people are one of the most generous races of people in the world. They are fun, and they laugh easily. Their hospitality shows no bounds. I entered a camp one evening, using only sign language. I asked if I could stay the night. I was shown to a tent, where they showed me a bed. I was then shown to another tent where a wedding party was in full progress. I was given food, strong drink and a seat next to the bride. Two aunties, who had also taken strong drink, proceeded to teach me naughty words in Mongolian, much to the amusement of all present.

It was amazing, songs, speeches, and laughter. In my old age I intend to tell the tail to my grandchildren, of the day I attended a Mongolian wedding.

Is this my reason to enter the longest and toughest horse race in the world? Not a chance.

Third place is only the second of those who came last. As you know ‘the adventurer’ is nothing if not competitive.

I want to enter the race TO WIN.

No comments:

Post a Comment